Minimally Invasive Joint Replacement
Minimally invasive joint replacement has come a long way in the last decade, and is often regarded as a state-of-the-art treatment approach to various orthopedic procedures. With advanced training and access to specialized equipment, Dr. Rajan M. Patel can now provide his Beverly Hills & Los Angeles patients with safe knee and hip joint replacements via tiny skin incisions that measure 3-4 inches.
Sports Medicine & Minimally Invasive Joint Injury
But the length of the cut is not the primary focus of minimally invasive surgery. This approach to treatment aims at minimizing the disruption to muscles, tendons, and ligaments under your skin. By reducing the size of the cut, minimally invasive joint replacement offers several benefits, including:
- Minimal tissue trauma - where muscles, ligaments, and tendons are separated instead of being cut
- Reduced blood loss - lower risk of dependence on blood donation
- Reduced healing time- quick recovery and less painful rehabilitation
- Eliminates the risk of complications caused by general anesthesia - you only need epidural hypotensive anesthesia and light sedation
- Early participation with physical therapy - faster recovery and shorter hospital stays so you can go home in 12-48 hours compared to 3-5 days with open surgery
- Less scarring - two small cuts measuring 1.5 - 2 inches each compared to one 10 - 12 inch cut
- Faster return to daily activities, work, and physical activities
Rajan Patel, MD is an active member of American Academy of Hip & Knee Surgeons - and stays updated with the most advanced techniques and up-to-date technology in the world.
Minimally Invasive Hip Replacement
This procedure may be recommended for patients suffering from hip injuries. The size of the incision is 3-4 inches, compared to 9 inches with open surgery. This significantly reduces damage to soft tissues and side effects associated with general anesthesia, while giving you exceptional results that you would expect with traditional surgery.
Minimally Invasive Knee Replacement
Partial or complete knee replacement may be necessary for patients with serious knee injuries or diseases, such as arthritis that don’t show any significant improvement with conservative treatments such as bracing, medication, and injection therapy. The replacement devices are surgically inserted via a small incision measuring 4 - 5 inches, compared to 12 inches with open surgery.
Minimally Invasive Joint Replacement in Beverly Hills & Los Angeles
As positive as minimally invasive joint replacement sounds, it is very important that the procedure is performed by a well trained and experienced orthopedic surgeon, with access to the right equipment and a qualified support team. For proper diagnosis and treatment of joint disorders affecting your knee, hip, or shoulder in Beverly Hills & Los Angeles, schedule an appointment with Dr. Rajan M. Patel today.